Not all who wander are lost – J. R. R. Tolkien
Who am I?
That’s the question everyone across this rolling blue marble wants to know about ourselves, right?
My name is Cory Collins.
By profession I am a content marketer and SEO. By personality I’m a reader, writer, runner, beer enthusiast, lover of animals, and video gamer.
I believe in the power of curiosity, an inquisitive mind, and a willingness to learn. I enjoy a challenge and the privacy to think. I believe that humans are mostly good, and that communication is the key to unlocking that goodness. The more we understand one another, the closer we become.
I work for the firm Page One Power based out of Boise, Idaho, as their Content Marketing Manager.
My job is to spread messages and tell stories with carefully created content. I represent our company to the online world, which is really the only world in which SEO exists.
I love my job, the responsibility entrusted to me, and my ability to affect change. I work with outstanding individuals, which is an absolute dream.
I reside in Pullman, Washington with my amazing wife Kelly Collins. We have two pit bulls–rescued from the Boise shelter–and they run our lives quite nicely.
I am the only remote employee out of the 100 or so staffed. I’m a firm INTJ. Being the 5th hired employee and having a well-established relationship with the owners probably didn’t hurt either.
I graduated from the University of Idaho in 2010 with a Bachelor of Science in Journalism. I also had all of the credits required for a Bachelor of Arts in English, Professional Writing Emphasis, minus the foreign language required for humanities.
Some fun facts about myself:
- When asked in Kindergarten what I wanted to be when I grew up I replied “myself”.
- I’ve believed myself to be a 40 year old trapped in a younger body since I was 8 years old. I’m not sure what I will think when I age past 40.
- I was born at 4:26 in the morning on April 26th.
- I spend more money on books than clothes.
- I generally believe strangers to be friends I don’t know well enough yet.
- I once ate an entire lime, in one bite–skin and all–when I was told “I would not do so.”
- I believe our society would be improved if roller blades were more prevalent.
- I will argue with you about the importance of the Oxford comma. Clarity matters.
- I admire nothing so much as competency, no matter the task.
- I’m a firm introvert, and the life of the party.
- I will stay up all night, on a weekday, to read a good book. I’ve never called in sick for it. I have taken the book to work with me though.
- I have a loud, deep voice.
- I collect other people’s stories.
- I am fairly athletic, and revel in a physical challenge.
- How a person treats a subordinate is a great gauge of character.
- Tipping isn’t for excellent service, it’s to apologize for the assholes.
- Gary Paulsen’s books have had a profound, echoing impact on my life.
- Roald Dahl continues to be my inspiration.
- I have four amazing Grandparents. Both sets are still alive, vital, and married to one another. 60+ years and counting.
- I believe that Benjamin Franklin is one of the greatest men to have ever lived. I’d be pleased if you’d ask me why.
- I join a long list of optimistic men in thinking aliens will be found in my lifetime. I’m not sure it will be a pleasant encounter.
- I’m a futurist. I want internet to my brain, self-driving cars, and true virtual technology.
- My parents have been married for 28 years.
- More to come (still a work in progress).